A well-thought-out packing list can make or break a trek, and for the Everest Base Camp trek, you want to ensure you get it right the first time. The harsh and unforgiving mountain terrain is sure to test the quality of your hiking gear, so it is best to be as well prepared as possible. In this article, I will break down the essentials and what you need with you regarding the Everest Base Camp trek
Having quality gear can make or break your trek. The last thing you want at 4000 meters is your boots to tear or your backpack buckles to break. Your gear should be well researched and tested before your trip. Here is the essential gear needed for the trek
- 65-70L backpack or duffle bag. Remember that your porter will be carrying this, so it should be durable with all zippers/clasps intact.
- 25-30L day pack
- Collapsible trekking poles
- Well-fitted hiking boots
- Sun hat
- Water filter
- 2 Reusable water bottles (1L each)
- Light gloves
- Cold-rated sleeping bag. Mummy sleeping bags are preferable as they hug you and keep you warm, but any kind of sleeping bag rated for negative temperatures will do.
- Light shoes for the tea house
- Headlamp or flashlight
Durable hiking clothes are a must on the mountain. It’s always best to choose lightweight moisture-wicking fabrics and leave the cotton at home. Here are the clothing items you would need for a 15-day EBC trek
- 3 T-shirts
- 5 light long sleeve shirts
- 2 thermal or fleece mid-layers
- 1 puffer jacket
- 2 undershirts
- 2 sports bras
- 5 trousers or active wear bottoms
- 1 pair of shorts
- 1 pair of warm pajamas
- 7 pairs of moisture-wicking socks
- 7 pairs of underwear
- 1 long underwear or thin base layer
You must be prepared for anything along the trek; this includes your toiletries. Biodegradable options are best to help reduce your impact as a trekker, but make sure you are comfortable with the product before you go. A well-stocked kit can come in handy for you or your trek mates on your adventure. Here is a list of essential toiletries
- Period products (if needed)
- Quick-drying towel
- Advil or Tylenol
- Mini first aid kit
- Altitude sickness medication
- Personal medications
- Aloe Vera gel
- Lip balm
- Athletic tape
- Vitamin C tablets or powder
- Nail clippers
- Small scissors
Whether for entertainment or necessity, it is important to know what electronics are essential along your trek!
- Camera and charger
- Phone with local SIM card (for internet) and charger
- 1-2 portable battery packs
- Kindle or e-reader and charger
- Crossword or word search book
- Deck of cards
- Journal and pen
- Book (remember to pack light as your porter will likely be carrying your bag).
- High protein snacks (Beef jerky, protein bars, Nuts, etc.)
- Your favorite chocolate bar for a treat at base camp!
Use this comprehensive list as a guideline when packing for your Everest base camp trek to ensure you have everything you will need for your amazing adventure!
3 thoughts on “Packing Guide for the Everest Base Camp Trek”
Fantastic, well thought out list! I’m huge on making packing lists before going anywhere and tend to start with the ten essentials and customize to the adventure from there! Nice one, Amanda!!
Thank you so much!
hey, i was your picture and blog side very interesting and amazing. if you need any more information and any help please let me know. i am ready to help you.